Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Attraction

No one ever told me about this little tidbit of being a mom. I'm not complaining, just making a simple observation. I mean, if I were a scientist, I wouldn't be accused of complaining. No one ever says that scientists are complaining or anything-NO! They are just being "brilliant" or whatever.
Anyway-What is it the strange force that creates the condition that no matter what time of day or where I am in the house or how many children and animals are in the house at that time the animals and children are usually in extremely close proximity to me. I believe that there is some sort in correlation between my desire to be alone and the proximity that the children and animals have to me, but I haven't really been able to do any good testing on this. I've noticed that this phenomenon does not work for my husband.
Take this Sunday for example. All I wanted was to watch the last stage of the Tour De France, finish my coffee, and read my book. My husband sits on sofa surrounded by the morning paper (Chronicle and NY Times) reading and glancing up at the TV. I have one child asking for "Uppies, Momma-uppies!" and the other sitting on my lap trying to drink my now cold coffee as the dog sits at my feet, No ON my foot snoring. I look at my husband and ask if anything about this scene seems strange to him. He asks, "What do you mean?"
Is this like, why they call it a "nuclear" family? Is this like the force of attraction that a electron has to an unbalanced molecule? Is this what makes H2O, instead of H sitting alone calmly sipping her coffee, watching the Tour?
Someone wants to "Dee down, Momma! Dee down!"
I'm back to the team car for food and drinks for the team captain.

No comments: